From your skin to your hair, each and every organ of your body requires protein. If you are a fitness enthusiast then your fitness instructor must have told you to consume protein rich foods and supplements to keep build muscles and more. Well! Protein supplements or foods are not just for those who are into fitness, but are necessary for all human beings to keep their body functioning properly.
Proteins are large and complex molecules that comprise thousands of tiny units of amino acids. These smaller units are attached to one another in the form of long chains. There are twenty types of amino acids that get combined to form protein. The sequence of these amino acids decides the unique 3-dimensional structure and function of each type of protein. Proteins do most of the work in the cells and are necessary for the regulation of tissues and organs of the body.
You can get your daily source of protein from foods and supplements. Some of the best source of protein rich foods are:
- Lean meat
- Whey protein
- Peanut butter
Other than these food sources you can also opt for supplements like Isopure protein, ON protein, MuscleBlaze protein, HealthKart protein and more.
Here is a table that shows the requirement of protein as per age and gender:
Here are a few science based health benefits of consuming protein rich foods and supplements:
- Protein powders like Isopure protein are a source of low carb dietary supplements that can help in management of weight. Even, protein rich foods can help in maintaining a healthy weight by suppressing your appetite and regulating your metabolism rate.
- You must have heard a lot of times that protein is the building block of all your muscles and tissues. Well! Protein is what you need to strengthen, develop and build those muscles.
- Protein is the best source of amino acids and that can help in speeding the repairing process of your muscles and tissues.
- Protein supplements especially that are derived from milk are a great source of calcium, which can help to strengthen your bones.
- A lot of studies also show that foods and supplements that are a rich source of protein can help to lower blood pressure levels as well as boost your immunity.
Precautions: Do not consume extra amounts of protein if you have kidney disorder or high uric acid levels. Also, if you are lactose intolerant, then try not to choose dairy based protein supplements and instead of that go for soy protein or pea protein. Consult your nutritionist to know the right dosage of protein that your body needs.